Monday, April 16, 2012

Lumix G1- revisit to Panny first m4/3 camera

Panasonic launched this first m4/3 camera which looks like a mini-DSLR in 2008. During that time, I didn't jumped into it unitl their GF-1 (rangefinder look) was launched. This type of camera made me enjoyed photography again due to their light weight and small size. The image quality is as good as a DSLR too.

After using Panasonic Lumix and Olympus Pen (they share the same mount as m4/3). I honestly prefers Olympus Jpeg pictures. Somehow or rather, the Olympus Jpeg photos seems to "pop" out in terms of colours. Olympus Art filter is a great feature too.

However, Panasonic's cameras seems to be better in handling and practical in design. The AF was fast too. As the built-in EVF on G1 has a resolution of 1.4 million pixels (same as the latest OM-D), it is a great feature and using it will manual lens will be a great help.

Many people will of course will mention that Olympus Pens have built-in image stabilisers and Panasonic chooses to stabilised their lens. If one knows what he/she is doing, this feature is not so important but a good to have thing.

I got this old G1 from a Used Store and bought it at SGD$250. With a senor of 12MP, reasonable fast AF, handles like a DSLR, tiltable LCD screen, manual controls, built-in EVF and can mount all m4/3 lens, I think it is a good deal. I bought it mainly to use it as a back-up for my events shoots as changing lens was rather incovenience I still prefers my EPM-1 Pen from Olympus.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I just came across your blog and I'm so happy to have found someone who uses an olympus pen camera for 'professional' shooting!
    There aren't a lot of photographers who use this camera. I have the E-PL1 and i now have the standard lens that came with it. I can't zoom very far, as you probably know. Do you have any recommendations for a lens which has a good zoom but wouldn't make me change lenses all the time?

    Awesome to find your blog!
    Bye,
    Sjanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sjanna,
    Thank you for your kind comments. Olympus cameras were unappreciated by many photographers until they came out the Pens and now with the OM-D, I believed they will do very well in the next few years. EPL-1 is a great camera too.

    A good zoom at this moment for m4/3 mount will be the 14-140mm (olympus or panasonic)equl. to 28-280mm (35mm). However, personally, I find the Gems in m4/3 world are their fix lens (12mm, 20mm, 25mm and 45mm). I persoanlly loved wide aperture lens which I find this is their strength. You may want to wait for the professional grade zooms from panasonic which was rumor to launch later this year.

    ReplyDelete

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...