Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Budget Macro Set-up with OM-D

Do you have issue of wanting to go into nature macro shooting and find that the dedicated macro lens in the market are very expensive? After calculation, I usually find it not as worthwhile as a normal lens as the rate of usage is low for macro lens.

Nevertheless, I usually use a tele zoom lens (40-150mm or 45-200mm) or a pro-sumer digital super zoom camera (Panasonic FZ-50 etc) with a Raynox 250 magnifying filter to do macro with much success.

Recently, with the OM-D, I purchase a S$160 Tamron 90mm f2.5 adaptall lens to do macro. The results are much better the the ones I mentioned. This is due to the superb lens quality combined with OM-D new sensor. The 5 axis image stabiliser in OM-D helps me in handheld shots too. Last time while I was a fan of Canon, I always reject the idea of body stabiliser and believe the best stabiliser is in the lens due to the advertisement. There may be some truth that due to different focal length of the lens, Nikon or Canon prefer the Image stabiliser to be in the lens for optimum performance.

However with Sony or Olympus In-Body stabiliser, I can purchase a super cheap but super sharp lens and this cheap lens turns into a 5 axis stabilised lens. Only disadvantage to some is no auto-focus. But do you really need AF for macro? I use this lens for event shoots too.

My set-up for the Tamron lens is
- OM-d body
- Tamron 90mm f2.5 52B($160)
- Adaptall adapter ($10- Ebay, sorry to shops in singapore, u are too expensive)
- Raynox 250 for 1:1 magnify ($90, used)
- 49mm-52mm filter ring (to easy placement of raynox 250 clip-on) ($6)
- Nissin  flash with reflector.($150)
- Monopod or handheld.(free with bag purchase)
I don't use tripod due to the inconvenience and reduction of flexibility to capture the shot.

Overall set-up is less than S$420. Compared to a new macro lens of $600-$1000.

Thisinfo is on how to start macro with a budget. The most important is practice and read on some books on macro. There are many other ways to shoot great macro shots.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...