Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Domke F5XC replacing new design Peak Design Everyday Sling




In November 2016, I received the long-awaited Peak Design new everyday sling. Through their videos and explanation of the bag, it looked like a perfect bag for me. It's sling design make the sliding forward or backward easy , small in look, flexible dividers appealed to me. I ordered it during the Kickstarter project.

It can load up a 9inch Ipad, all my FujiFilm mirrorless gears and looks cool. It is water resistance to heavy rain, easy to adjust sling. It is a promise that delivered.  However, to me, there is a major flaw in the design, the sling belt is too thin, it causes strain on my shoulder when the load is full. I also find it is too thick & hard to look like a sling bag. Comparing to the Lowepro Streetline 140, the Lowepro looked more like an everyday sling.

For their next version of the everyday sling if there is,  I hope the shoulder sling belt should be made thicker.


The shoulder sling is too thin in proportion to the bag size.



One of the best design for the interior

No problem to load up all these gears.

 After using the sling for 2 months, for outings and travelling to Melaka,  I decided to sell it away.
The next shoulder bag I get was the Domke F5XC (large) bag. I had a very old Domke F3x, the velcro on this old bag is worn out & doesn't secure the flap properly, putting in expensive gear seems to be risky as the gear may drop out during rough use.

The F5XC has two levels of storage. Both levels can be zipped up and double protected by the main flap cover. It can store all my camera body and lenses.  My personal belongings like wallet/iphone 6s/passport can be easily stored in any of the available slots. I like the two level storage space as it is highly flexible in configuration.

Some ideas of adjusting the bag for different gears

 The design of this bag is retro and looks like an old canvass bag. Even though it look ordinary, the parts they use are quality stuff. The protection it gave to my gears is top notch.

The only disadvantage is the velcro noise it made when opening the bag. To solve the Velcro noise problem, I bought a $1 Velcro 30cm strip from an army shop. I covered 80% of the bag's velcro leaving 20% effective area to hold the flap together, This greatly reduced to the noise and gave sufficient holding security of the flap.


Top level storage

Bottom storage space, the long lens 55-200mm can be either place here or the top. This space can be used for my wallet/Iphone6s etc. Zipped and secure.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...