Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Otters (smooth coated) at the Gardens by The bay

In Sept 2017, while I was cycling (doing my usual morning exercise) to Gardens by The Bay from East coast park, I met the family of Otters hunting and playing at the gardens' ponds.

At that moment, I was delighted to see the Otters up close but was disappointed that I did not bring my Fuji XT1 and 55-200mm with me. I shot the otters up close with my iphone6s and the picture quality was bad!

From that day onward, when I cycle in the morning, I will bring along the XT1 and 55-200mm with me. As the system is relatively small, I can put the setup into my small cycling backpack. However, for the next 2 months, I did not see the family of Otters. So I shot other animals in the same gardens which I posted on the previous blog. 

Today was a great day. At 8am, I found them on the end of the gardens by the bay (near the beach end) and follow them for the next 2hrs. They moved and swarm in a group. When they hunt for fishes, they use teamwork to lure the fishes to a dead end before catching it.

Finally, I have some decent set of photos.There is a 5min video of the feeding / swimming / running action of the Otters. Loving the colors of Fujifilm X series. As the otters are moving constantly, I realized the best shutter speed is from 1/1000s-1/2000s to keep them sharp. I also used the updated FW4.0 on XT1 where the continuous AF (Zone focusing) to keep track of the otters during the shoot.


















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...