Thursday, January 19, 2012

Some thoughts on Photography

I still remember when I was young during the 1980s, my dad was using the Olympus OM series (all black). I still can remember the feel while I was holding it. It has a very solid feel. When I started to work during the late 1990s, I bought my first camera the Minolta Dynax 500si. It was a film SLR and foolishly, i believed that getting a "PRO" or good camera will improved my photos. When I went around test shooting with this new camera and after seeing my photos after developing into prints, I was so disappointed. The photos look flat and dull. After reading magazines and book, I realised photography is all about lighting. It still remain true till today. However, in the forums today, people seems to be more concern over the specs of the camera and like to compare and worst pixel peep the photo. They even fight among each other over their choice of brand. Sensor sizes are also a topic in forums. Is that important to you?

I also begin to learn and even went into colour slides. My last film SLR was the Minolta dynax 800si and a few fixed lens. It was the year 2001 when Canon released the "budget" DSLR ranging from D30-60D, I finally decided to go to digital. That time many film users still condemn about digitial saying it will never replace film interms of details, colours and pixels. However, after a few years, we have seen film camera dying out. Even as I write today, Kodak has declared bankrupt ending almost 100 years of history in film industry etc.

While I was into bird photography during the ealry 2000s, I invested a number of big lens from Canon. It was a need to get the reach to the shy birds. Most of my best shots are in the website pbase.com/jkhw73.

However in the late 2008, I gave up this aspect of photography and went into general photography (macro, street and other) due to family and my insurance business commitment.

During this period, Panasonic and Olympus came out their first mirrorless cameras. With the promise of smaller size of lens and body, I immediately jump into this wagon. During that time, people still do not accept this new design. However, as fast as the market moved, major brands are developing this area. DSLRs are slower in development as it is very matured now. I personally feel small system is the way to go for hobbists and serious users.

These small systems is so light and portable, I will carry them on every outing. Even if there is no opportunity to shoot, I will not feel "wasted" energy as comparing to bring a DSLR and a few lenses on a bag. IMHO, DSLR will be used by mainly professionals in the future. And people who still prefer the direct view thru the lens feel.

What do you think DSLR will go in 5-6years later?

1) Olympus epm-1 with 45mm (ISO1250), Boken effect of a sensor 2 times smaller than a "full frame" sensor. Do you think it can match a pro DSLR in term of boken and iso?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...