Wednesday, July 11, 2012

OM-D Olympus

As much as I want to stop myself from getting the expensive and over-hype OM-D EM-5 from Olympus, I finally give in out of the curiousity and temptation.

2 years ago, as I was going around shooting with my then Ep-2 Pen, I spot a old Om-2 SLR on a street market. Admired it and ask the owner to have a permission to shoot it.. Back then, my mind was thinking why not Olympus re-design it with the new mirrorless technology. Then, all the Pen do not have any view finder and can be attached as a accessories. The idea is good but it still lack the toughness as the fit on EVF tends to be flimsy etc.

1) The old OM-2S

Fast forward, I am glad Olympus has came out the OM-D. It is still out-of-stocks in USA due to the popularity. In Singapore, the stocks seems to be healthy.

This camera hold memories as I always remember my first hand experience with my Dad's Om-1 which uses film. With this camera, I sold my EPM-1 but kept the Panasonic G1.
I never believe in keeping equipment due to the depreciation in cost etc.

My first hands-on to this camera is very postive. I can confidently say this design and built is comparable to the Fuji X100 which I consider one of the best design camera for the photographer. X100 disappointment is the Autofocus speed and unable to do fast manual focus. X100 however is the camera which I am very Impress with the image output. Olympus m4/3 cameras was unable to complete in term of image quality until OM-D or the new Panasonic G3/GH2/GX1 came out. More of the image quality comparison can be found in dpreview.com and it is the only m4/3 camera to receive GOLD award. 4/3 and m4/3 camera since 10 years ago have never impress reviewers until this OM-D came out.
 From my initally hands-on, I found out OM-d has some top-end features like the shadow/highlight adjustment (great for difficult lighting like sunrise/sunset). It has a built -in level guage (great of landscape) which can be found in top-end cameras like x100 /EP-3etc. The dual dials on OM-D is a welcome as my G1 or EPM-1 only has one which can be difficult to adjust . The Electronic viewfinder is good and seems to be better in refreshing rate than my aging G1.
Some reviewer mentioned the buttons are packed too closely but personally I find it well placed. The Autofocus speed of OM-D is super fast and positive. I have yet to see the actual images from it but I hope it can be as impressive as my X100.

Overall, this camera gave me a very soild feel and it is a leap over my EPM-1. I believe those who owns EP-3 may not feel the same as me. EP-3 it also a very well thought camera IMHO.

2) OM-D side by side with Pen EPM-1 (with EVF) . Not as big as some may thought of.

3) Small buttons but well thought n well placed

4) great over metal built.

4) With the well priced and great quality lens (45mmf1.8)
5) OM-d


I will post some shots later in the week and see if the hype over this camera is really there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...