Sunday, July 15, 2012

OM-D outing shoot

I brought out this brand new toy out to Lower Pierce Reservoir with my family. Attached to it was the kit lens 12-50mm EZ lens. It has replaced the 14-42mm from EPM-1. This lens built quality is good compared to the plastic mount 14-42mm. This 12-50mm is a weather sealed lens and has a macro mode on it. In 35mm terms, it is a 24-100mm lens. The let down is the relatively small aperture and can be a great travel & outdoor lens. As for indoors and low light situations, i will still prefer the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8.

BTW, the handling of OM-D is familiar to me as it is similar to some Olympus DSLR & Pens I use before since I migrated from Canon to Olympus in 2009. Many serious photographers does the opposite. Why I like Olympus is mainly the colours it can produce in Jpeg. It is very hard to explain but coming from a Canon Professional user, I save many hours of photoshopping after I have switched to Olympus. The issue of smaller sensor like Olympus m4/3 is long gone for me as the sensor they have now can fight or in some case better than the full frame D800 Nikon. These can be found in many web doing the comparison. However full frame is still one level up if one know what he/ she is using to maximise the output. For serious users like me a 16mp or 12mp camera is very good already. I still remember when I was using the pro Canon 1D markii which was only 8mp but the results were brilliant with the right lens.

One thing I wanted to highlight on the OM-D is the new function called shadow/highlight adjustment built-in the camera. These function is usually found in photoshop or for the old school photographers, they play with Neutral density filters to get the result. The below are the result of adjusting the shadow. As it is a back-lilted subject, the ground will be mainly dark. But after adjusting the shadow level, it came out good. Again it will be useful for sunset/sunrise shot and also save time doing photoshop.

Normal shot




After doing the shadow adjustment, the rock detail can be seen,
Final result from the shadow/highlight function

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...