Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Revamped Trinity Lenses for my OM-D

I got my Olympus EM-5 since last year July and is still very happy with it's performance. I have been taking more photos than all my previous cameras due to it's small size and great lenses (also small in size). It is never a decision whether to bring out my camera as compared when I was using a DSLR.  My 20mm and 14mm pancake lens can be slotted into any compartment inside my waist-pouch and the weight is not noticeable. To make things even smaller, I will bring my OM-D without any grip.

Since my Oct 2012 post about my Trinity lenses in my M4/3 system, I have replaced my Panasonic Leica 25mmf1.4 with the 20mm f1.7. Due to my style of shooting, I find the 25mm still too tight for general situation. For tighter perspective, I preferred to use 45mmf1.8.

Currently with a newly acquired 60mm lens from Olympus, my Trinity lenses is really hard to define. The Olympus 60mm f2.8 can be double up as a portrait and journalistic lens. But I still hold on the 45mmf1.8 due to it's wider aperture for low light and small size.

I also believe personally that for this m4/3 system, the best lenses are the fixed lens due to the small size and wide aperture. The new Panasonic 12-35mm and 35-100mm f2.8 professional grade zoom lens are some great lenses.


I do prefer the fixed-focal lens as these lens give me a sense of special character of each lens on how they are viewed and behave rather than a zoom lens that can be adjusted on a fixed position of the photographer.
A fixed-focal lens also "forced" me to be more conscious about the subject on how it is composed etc.


As for m4/3, many photographers' are still worried about the 1/2 size sensor as compared to a 35mm film Full frame sensor. As many serious and professional started to use this format, they do agreed that the m4/3 sensor really has it's advantage and many times it is hard to define whether it is shot by a Fullframe sensor or m4/3 sensor. Do check out this photographer for his great work and use on m4/3 sytem http://admiringlight.com/blog/

For me as I have only use a 1.3x sensor from Canon 1DmarkII before, I can say that for m4/3  true advantage is that the fixed- lens can have tag sharp images even it is open wide compared to a Full frame lens where we often hear they need to stop down to get sharper image. So even with a big sensor and due to the limit depth of field, aperture need to be stop down to get sharper image. In contrast, m4/3 sensor is optimised for the it's own lens. Other advantage is also on macro, for a Fullframe, to get a deep depth of view, one need to stop down to f16-f22 but a m4/3 we can get as much depth with just f8-f11. Some may say the bokeh is still better for fullframe, I do agreed but for m4/3's 45mmf1.8 or 75mm f.8, they can have some serious bokeh too.

 With rumors and development news coming we are expecting more tip-top lens coming from Panasonic , Olympus, Sigma, Norkton, Tamron and many more companies are joining in this system.

Buying and selling in the used market do help you to decide which lens really suit your style.

This system is a success compared to the original 4/3 mount.


Now with great 4 lenses, each has it's own character. My Trinity lenses is hard to define now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...