Saturday, July 9, 2016

Xpro1 to XT1

The newest Fujifilm Xpro2 & the coming XT2 are the latest in improvement and better in resolution etc. But the prices are too much for a non-pro shooter like me.  I loved to keep the Xpro1 for occasional use. It's image quality output is still one of the best I have seen. It's rangerfinder style is cool too. As the price for XT1 is going down due to the newer models, I think it is a good time to get the XT1.

There are some functions in the XT1 I found worth the upgrade even it will be replaced by the XT2 in Sept 2016. The 16 MP image is far large enough for prints in photo books and maybe occasionally huge prints.The new XT2 has top mechanical shutter speed of 1/8000s and the top speed for XT1 or Xpro1 is 1/4000s. 1/4000s is sufficient for most of my uses. The new B&W Acros simulation is not an attraction for me as I never shoot B&W direct and if I do, I will use film on my OM-1.


The XT1 is still a better choice for me comparing the the similar spec XE2s or XT10. The huge EVF with double split screens option is one of the attraction for me as I have 2 legacy lenses (OM 28mm & 50mm). The split screen works just like the OM 1. It is easy to see compared to the Xpro1 single screen where if I need to confirm focus, I need to magnify the image. Having an extra step in the field can mean losing the moment. For the XT1, everything is in one view.


The XT1 processing speed for RAW is also much faster than the XPro1 and the Classic Chrome film simulation is great to have although I can still live with the original Velvia, Provia etc.


The next big improvement for XT1 comparing to the 5 year old Xpro1 is that there is wireless connection and can do direct instax print which to me is a good fun add-on.


One main differences with Xpro and XT is that there is an OVF or EVF option for the Xpro. The XT1 has only the EVF option. However, from my own experience when out in the field shooting, I uses the EVF mode on the XPro1 95% of the time as I prefer to confirm focus and exposure right during the first time as the EVF give real time info. The OVF also is accurate with lenses 18mm-50mm. My 12mm zeiss or the 55-200mm still depend on the EVF most of the time.


The size of XT1 just like the Xpro1 is just nice for me as from the past experience, the XM2, XE2 and XT10 size are too small for my hands.


Fujifilm wins in getting the design right compared to other brands. The style is truly inspired by the old SLR as seen with my OM-1.



The SLR inspired XT1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...