Monday, March 7, 2011

My Career and Business

Finally, after some thoughts, I decided to pen down my business in the insurance line. I am currently representing one of the top insurers in Singapore and the world. I joined this business in 2008. I have a degree and honours in Mechanical Engineering since 2000. I have worked in MNCs as an Engineer and also a Purchaser.

Many friends have asked me the same question when I joined the Insurance line. They thought I must be crazy and commented I may not last 6 months as they felt I was not a chatty person or simply cannot do sales.However even with all this discouragements, I learn to tackle these negative stuff into strength. Day in day out, I think to myself, I will prove that it's about sincerity and honesty will prevail. After all, in my insurance business listening is more important than talking. I also love this quote:"People's opinions should not be your reality".

I was never happy when I was an Engineer. I find myself trapped in companies politics and hate seeing angry emails flying around. I always thought I can find a better job out there but end up the same feeling as long as I am a employee. Then in 2008, a break through, I made up my mind to start the Insurance business where my ex-classmate is starting a new team.

I took 3 tests and attended the training before I can sell any insurance products. The challenge in this business is not selling but to find the correct prospects.As many will agreed, this line is sometimes tainted by some "bad" practices by some agents. Some clients may feel that they are treated unfairly and were pushed to buy products. I do agree that there are some bad practices but I also see good agents doing fair treatment to their clients and have make it well and long term. In life, we always have a choice. So as long as I practice my belief, I will sustain in  long term.

With many challenges,  I am able to get promoted to Senior Post within the 2 years and I am really happy. The main difference in this insurance career and outside is that the rewards/Promotions were given "unlimited" and we just have to hit the goal set. When I was working in MNCs, the promotion were limited (depending one boss's view)and increments depends on the company's budget to each department.

There will be still be challenges in the future but with a dynamic and positive team behind me, I believe I will made it long time and serve my clients well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...