Sunday, September 8, 2013

Building up my Fullframe system D600

I build my D600 Nikon system based on my tested and preferred way of shooting style with the M4/3 system. I did the opposite by going back to DSLR fullframe abandoning the light weight promise by mirrorless system. With the fullframe sensor I am able to have a 100mm f2,8 from Tokina (macro 1:1) replacing my 2 favorite lenses Olympus 45mmf1.8 and 60mm f2.8 Macro.

The Tokina 100mm f2.8 although a old AF lens D lens, the focus is responsive with the D600. The bokeh is wonderful. (due to the fullframe sensor, this will be the fact). It will be my portrait and nature Macro lens. The Olympus 60mmf2.8 never satisfied me as a f2.8 lens on my m4/3 will not have the "pop" effect unless we get real close to the subject or the background distance is far enough.

I have a cheap Nikon 50mm f1.8 D lens too as a replacement for my m4/3 Panasonic 20mmf1.7. This will be my everyday lens. Cheap and sharp,

The Nikon 24-85mm VR lens will be a general purpose lens and I will not be getting a f2.8 24-70mm anytime soon due to the price and weight. Still good to have a zoom for some applications like travel and events. This should be my least used lens in my arsenal.

I am still a believer of fixed-focal lens as per during my m4/3 days. That's the way to get the best image out and making a photographer to understand the angle of view and do the walking. Fixed-focal lens size is also an advantage to me.

Lastly, I kept my old Nikkor 85mmf1.8 K (AI modified lens) for D600. This will be used for cases i want things slow and get the best bokeh effect etc.


D600 with attached 50mmf1.8 D and Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro/ Nikon 24-85mmf3.5-4.5 VR. all in a small Domke FB5X.

 - By 50mmf1.8 D
 Tokina 100mmf2.8
 Tokina 100mm f2.8
Action freeze by Tokina 100mmf2.8..fast responsive AF

 Nice smooth bokeh by 50mmf1.8 D -Old and cheap AF lens.The dynamic range is not bad for FF.


Strolling by park- 50mmf1.8 D

2 comments:

  1. Great post.

    Although I was fascinated my m4/3, I eventually picked an entry level DLSR (rebel), mostly for budget reasons ( I was able to get a refurb camera+50mm 1.8 for US$450, and could not really find something equivalent in m4/3 for that $500 budget)

    But my next move might be a switch to m4/3 or FF. So I am keeping an eye on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurent, the rebel is a good camera and the 50mmf1.8 is cheap and image quality is great.

    For m4/3, if budget is tight, there are many good and value used (2nd hand) bodies available. But lens wise, it may be kind of expensive for the equivalents. m4/3 is a fun system overall.

    But if you prefer more value lens and do not mind the size and weight ..a fullframe is a no doubt the one to get. The price of FF I believe will continue to fall or the build will be made lighter or smaller due to the intense competition from the mirrorless category.

    ReplyDelete

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...