Wednesday, September 11, 2013

SEA Aquarium - Test low light with D600

As this week is a school holiday, I took time off to bring my family to this newly open marine life park in Sentosa Singapore. This aquarium was newly open earlier this year and is one of the main attraction in the island of Sentosa.

I brought my newly acquired D600 with the mid range 24-85mm zoom plus the 100mm f2.8 macro. All dump into the F5bX domke bag.

As it is a FF DSLR, I set the camera to Auto ISO with a max setting of 6400 to see how it perform. I came from the old school film days and during my initial Digital days, the iso performance for Canon 10D or Canon 1Dmark2 wasn't that good compared to today's technology. Last time I only push to ISO 800 or 1600 at max with lots of noise reduction later.

Even when I was using OM-D, I am very particular in controlling my ISO setting as I always prefer a low setting to get the best details on the image. Too much noise reduction by the camera or photo editing program do reduced the details and sharpness.

One main advantage of a DSLR is the no lag from squeezing the shutter to capture the image. For M4/3 like OM-D EM-5, even the AF is fast, the actual capturing of the image has some lag.
In the low lightcondition of the aquarium, the D600 did well and is able to react to my action. The buttons are well placed and the handling is firm and confident. One good thing is the battery life. After shooting for 300 shots, one battery bar was used only, the specs show 900 shots for 1 full charge but I believe it can do more. For my OM-d, one battery last 300-400 shots only.The only disadvantage is still it's weight but it is a small compromise in exchange of the above. However, it is not that heavy if we didn't attached the pro zoom like the 24-70 f2.8 or 80-200mmf2.8. For 24-85mm or primes lens, it is still fairly small and light.

Here are some of the better shots of the day. One tip is that in shooting thru glass panel like this, avoid shooting round or curved glass panel, it is not easy to get a firm focus due to the diffraction of the glass. For flat panel there is no issue at all.
















 ISO-3200 with the below crop
ISO-3200 crop from above. Nice high ISo and great details still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...