Friday, September 6, 2013

Moving to Fullframe finally


In 2009 I sold all my Canon DSLR gear for the mirrorless system and I am particularly into the m4/3 system leaded by Olympus and Panasonic. This system has made me enjoy photography once again due to the portability and good image quality.

I am particularly impressed by the EM-5 OM-D by Olympus for it's image output at high iso. However as this market developed, I soon find the pricing of some of it's professional grade lens are too pricey. For DSLR like Canon or Nikon, some of it's older lens which is still compatible to the latest DSLR is a draw to me. These older lens with great lens design and image output sometimes cost a fraction of the newer mirrorless lens.

When Nikon came out the D600, the price of the fullframe seems to be affordable compared to 3-5years back. If today I do not want a fullframe DSLR, I will still stick to the m4/3. A APS_C camera weight saving is not as great as a m4/3 and the image is not so different. With a fullframe camera, the standard measure focal length is much convenient. (we have to accept even with digitial technology, for the past 10-12years , people are still using 35mm equivalent focal length to relate to the angle of view) 

Today a Olympus EP-5 with EVF and 17mmf1.8 kit cost about $1500USD. A used D600 is about the same price and if I paired up with a 50mm f1.8 D lens ($70USD). I can go FF at the same price as a EP-5.Looking at the new EM-1 OM-D rumours price of $2000USD, I am really disappointed with the way Olympus market the price. 

After I used the FF DSLR, I truly understood what a 35mm sensor can do. It's really can capture more dynamic range, making a subject pop-out and the shutter lag is virtually zero (compared to m4/3).

BTW, I am also able to put my D600 w 85mm (AI-K) or Tokina 100mmf2.8 , 50mmf1.8 and a 24-85mm into my domke F5Bx (small shoulder bag). 
The body of D600 is the same size as a D7000 but the sensor is a FX fullframe thus making a great attraction to me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have been reading you blog for a little over a year now, along with 2 other m4/3 blogs, and all three photographers have moved to FF. Is that a trend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurent, a big thank you for following my blog. Fullframe or not , the eye of the photographer is still more important to the image output. IMHO, I still think the mirrorless cameras will be replacing APS-C DSLR in the future but not for fullframe counterparts due to the large amount of true fullframe 35mm lens since 1977(for Nikon), I am fine to compromise the size and slightly heavy for the advantage of fullframe sensor. End of 2012, Nikon D600 and Canon 6D have opened the floodgate for us to taste fullframe at a affordable price:-)

    ReplyDelete

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...