Sunday, September 15, 2013

Using Non-CPU lens (Manual lens) on D600

I believe most of the Nikon users will know this feature and the manual book has also indicated on how to do it. I highlight here to let more people know that using manual lens(nikon AI 1977 and later) in a DSLR especially on Nikon DSLR is convenient and easy. Do note that some lower spec DSLRs (D5xxx, D40s,D60s etc) in the Nikon line do not have this feature. Much older lens like NON_AI, are unable to use this way.

I have a AI modified 85mm f1.8 K lens, during my days of mirrorless, I adapted this lens via a lens adpator onto my EPM-1 and OM-D EM-5. During focusing, I will usually use the magnifying effect of the EVF on the Om-D to assist my focus and some other users will use the focus peaking function(EP-5, Sony NEX etc). Using such function do strain the eyes and  extra step in press buttons to activate the functions.

With D600, after setting the lens info into the camera (see manaual for more info), the camera will know what lens and aperture I am using. With mirrorless cameras, this is not possible. There is a confirmed focus indicator in the viewfinder too and the indicator will guide the user to turn the focus ring left or right. I just need to half-press the shuttor button and start focusing!

This is a advantage for me. I have tested the focus and is reliable!

Now my aperture reading is able to be read by the camera on a old AI manual lens. The AF confirmation lock indicator on the OVF is a good assist tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olympus Em-1 Mark 2 , 7-14mm f2.8 & Sony RX100vi

] In recent months, I have sold the Em-1 mark1 and Lumix G95 body to revamp the equipment setup. The Lumix 12-35mm f2,8 was also sold as it ...